A spectacular world is what I would expect to see
Every time I place myself in its way
Such as today
Beauty had claimed the skies more than I could believe
I was standing outside sometime
In the afternoon
When I took a drag of a cigarette
And I Gazed up
And I saw
That the atmosphere had been painted with several hues.
An orange haze was the first that shown
No doubt it was a polluted glow
Low it lay
in the streets it crawled
Guilt I felt for all of you
As I placed the butt to my lips
The smoke lingered and hissed
A prophetic scowl
Its silvery veil could not hide the amount
Of darkened grey beyond
That was the clouds
Floating above the orange tress of smog
Dowsed with tears it must have been
As I never felt so warm within
To see the earth so full of tension
I know now that alone I am not
I glanced at the ground
Blew smoke from my mouth
The cigarette slipped
And rolled carelessly down
Then I took a fresh breath
Or so much as was available
And I Gazed up
And I saw
That sky was not dark at all
It seemed to me
Cheering already
As an azure eye peeped
Out of the cloudy sheen
Through the rusty screen
And I could see it was much happier than me
Or at the very least
Had an eye that was clearer than mine
An eye clearer than light
I had never expected to see such a sight
As a painting in the skies
A slab of warm
Overridden by a neutral plight
And the blue eye of a peeping tom
All blended and brilliant
Radiant and supercilious
It deserves to be left alone
No comments:
Post a Comment